Uzvar (Ukrainian Winter Punch)
A recipe for Uzvar (Ukrainian Winter Punch) from the cookbook, Mamushka.
- 10 ounces (315 g) each dried apple slices, dried apricots, and dried pitted prunes
- 7 ounces (220 g) dried sour cherries
- 1 old dried vanilla pod without seeds
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A few strips of lemon and orange zest
- Clear honey to taste
- 3 quarts (96 fl oz/3 L) cold water
Mix everything together in a large saucepan and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
Strain the fruit and spices out (blitz the fruit without the spices in a food processor and serve with yogurt, porridge, or rice pudding), cover, and refrigerate until ready to drink. It will keep for up to 2 weeks and is amazing drunk warm with a shot of brandy.