Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
Pumpkin French Toast Casserole recipe! Pieces of bread are soaked in a creamy pumpkin custard, topped with a brown sugar pecan streusel, and baked until golden.
Servings 6 -8 Servings
Pumpkin French Toast Base:
- 18 ounces (510 grams) stale bread cut into 1 inch (2.5 centimeter) cubes
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup (240 grams) pure pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (355 milliliters) milk
- 1 cup (237 milliliters) heavy cream
Brown Sugar Pecan Streusel:
- 2/3 cup (85 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (135 grams) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) roughly chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch salt
- 8 tablespoons (113 grams) unsalted butter cold and diced
- Powdered Sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Caramel Sauce
To make the Pumpkin French Toast base:
Grease a 9 x 13 inch (23x33 centimeter) baking dish with butter. Arrange the cubed bread in an even layer across the bottom of the baking dish.
In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Whisk in the milk and cream until well-combined and smooth.
Pour the mixture evenly over the prepared bread. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
To make the Brown Sugar Pecan Streusel:
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, pecans, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
Using your fingertips, blend the chilled butter into the flour mixture until coarse with pieces no larger than a size of a pea.
If not using immedialtely, cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
Remove the pan from the refrigerator and evenly cover with the brown sugar pecan streusel.
Bake in the preheated oven until puffed, golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-55 minutes.
Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
If desired, top with butter, powdered sugar, maple syrup, and/or caramel sauce.