Qatiqli Hu'rda (Uzbek Rice Soup with Yogurt)
Qatiqli Hu'rda (Uzbek Rice Soup with Yogurt) recipe for #SundaySupper Simple Rice Recipes for Dinner! This comforting soup is packed with lamb, rice, and plenty of vegetables. Serve warm with a dollop of yogurt and sprinkling of parsley.
Servings 4 -5 Servings
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound lamb cut into small pieces (about 1 inch)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large tomatoes chopped, or 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 red bell pepper seeds and stem removed, chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup short grain rice rinsed in cold water
- 4 1/4 cups water
- 1 2/3 cups plain yogurt
- Freshly chopped parsley or other greens for garnish
In a large pot, drizzle the oil over medium high heat. Once hot, add the pieces of lamb. Sprinkle with coriander, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned on all sides.
Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened. Mix in the tomatoes/tomato paste, bell pepper, and carrot. Continue to cook until the vegetables have softened. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted, 2-3 minutes. Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pot halfway with lid. Simmer until the rice is tender and the soup has thickened, about 15 minutes.
Season the soup to taste with salt and simmer for a couple more minutes before removing from heat. Mix in the yogurt or serve it in large dollops over individual bowls of soup. Serve immediately garnished with parsley or other greens.