Kachumbari (Kenyan Tomato and Onion Salad)
A recipe for Kachumbari (Kenyan Tomato and Onion Salad)! This refreshing salad is packed with diced vegetables and seasoned simply with a drizzle of lime juice and olive oil.
Servings 4 Servings
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cucumber diced
- 1 avocado pit removed, peeled, and diced
- 1-2 small red chile peppers stem removed and finely diced
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil optional
Place the chopped onion in a medium bowl and add just enough water to cover. Stir in 2 teaspoons salt and allow to sit for 30 minutes. Drain for 10 minutes in a fine mesh sieve.
In a large bowl, gently toss together the drained onions, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, red peppers, and cilantro.
Squeeze lime juice over the salad to taste, drizzle with olive oil, and if desired, season with additional salt. Serve immediately.