Zabaione Freddo is the chilled version of the Italian dessert, Zabaglione. Egg yolks are whisked into Marsala wine and sugar, then folded into whipped cream. Use a good quality Marsala, not the Marsala cooking wine in the grocery store next to the vinegar.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Be very careful when cooking over low heat. The mixture should be continuously beaten and never come to a boil
Zabaione Freddo is best chilled with biscotti or ladyfingers. I served mine with these Vanilla Almond Spiced Biscotti.
Zabaione Freddo (Italian Cold Zabaglione)
Adapted from Claudia Roden’s The Food of Italy
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a medium heat-safe bowl or top of a double boiler, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, Marsala, lemon zest, cinnamon, and vanilla. Place over pan or bottom of double boiler filled with boiling water. Beat continuously until frothy.
- Place directly over low heat and continue beating until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat heavy cream until thick with stiff peaks. Fold into the cooled egg wine mixture. Pour into serving glasses and refrigerate until chilled.
- Serve cold with biscotti.