A recipe for Carrot Cheddar Crackers! These lightly crisp crackers are packed with finely grated carrots for a delicious savory treat.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Have any extra carrots sitting around from making carrot cakes and other goodies for Easter? Save them for these kid-friendly Carrot Cheddar Crackers!
Each bite is packed with finely grated carrots and cheese. They are baked until lightly crisp on the edges with a lightly soft center. Evan particularly enjoyed cutting out the variety of little shapes and arranging them on the baking sheet.
I adapted this recipe from Baking Makes Things Better. I changed things a little bit to suit my son’s tastes, but follow her example with dried mustard and cumin seeds if you want to add a bit of spice.
The carrots and cheese need to be finely grated to mix easily into the dough. I peeled and sliced the carrots and placed them in a food processor with shredded cheese to quickly break them down.
If you are having difficulty rolling out the dough, cover and refrigerate it for about 30 minutes. The dough needs to be baked the day it is made though. It will start to discolor due to the carrots.
The crackers can be cut into small squares with a pastry/pizza cutter or into shapes with small cookie cutters. I used these mini vegetable cutters.
Looking for more carrot-based recipes?
Carrot Cheddar Crackers Recipe
Adapted from Baking Makes Things Better
Carrot Cheddar Crackers
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons (125 grams) unsalted butter chilled and diced
- 1 cup finely grated carrot ~2
- 3/4 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 355˚F (180˚C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or lightly grease.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture becomes a coarse texture with pieces no larger than a pea. Stir in the carrots, cheese, and egg yolk. Knead lightly to form into a dough.
- Divide the dough in half. Place one on a lightly floured surface. Wrap the other and refrigerate until needed. Roll out the dough until thin. Cut into small squares or use mini cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Arrange the crackers 1/2 inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden on the bottom, about 12 minutes. Allow to cool before removing to plate. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Crackers are best the day they are made. Store leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container.