Recipe for Chocolate Snickerdoodles- soft and chewy chocolate cookies covered in a crispy cinnamon-sugar coating.
Snickerdoodles are a favorite of mine and I love to find new variations of this cinnamon-coated cookie. I had never heard of a chocolate version until I came across this recipe from Baked Bree. Chad doesn’t like most chocolate, so I made these for a cookie drive. That way, I could try a couple and give away the rest. These cookies are a great treat during the holidays for the chocolate lovers in your family.
Want to add a bit more spice to these Chocolate Snickerdoodles? You can bump up the cinnamon in the cinnamon-sugar mixture to 1 1/2-2 teaspoons or even add 1-2 teaspoons espresso powder or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to the chocolate cookie dough.
Looking for more chocolate cookie recipes?
Chocolate Snickerdoodles Recipe
Adapted from Baked Bree
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Lightly grease or line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar for topping.
- Roll dough into rounded tablespoon sized balls. Coat the balls in the cinnamon sugar. Place them on prepared baking sheets and press down the cookies with the bottom of a glass to slightly flatten.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-13 minutes, until puffy and lightly browned on bottom. Let cookies cool on wire rack.