A recipe for Carrot Ginger Soup! Carrots and onions are blended with ginger, warming spices, and vegetable broth for a comforting and easy soup.
I first came across the inspiration for this Carrot Ginger Soup from the cookbook, Meine Bayerische Küche by Alfons Schuhbeck. It is such a delicious and easy way to use carrots!
Carrots and onions are briefly sautéed, then simmered in vegetable broth with garlic, ginger, curry powder, coriander, cinnamon, salt, and black pepper until softened and the flavors blend together.
The mixture is finally pureed until smooth and combined with a bit of heavy cream and a splash of apple cider vinegar.
Serve immediately with an additional drizzle of cream and desired toppings. I added a few croutons and a sprinkling chopped fresh parsley.
The croutons add a nice contrast in texture. You can either use store-bought or make them at home using a recipe such as Homemade Croutons from Immaculate Bites.
A Few Tips
Simmer the carrots until completely tender before blending the soup. This will help create a smooth and creamy consistency.
If too thick, add a little more vegetable stock or water.
The amount of salt will depend on the sodium content of your vegetable broth. Adjust the salt to taste.
The level of heat can also be adjusted based on the type of curry powder. For even more spice, add a pinch or so of ground cayenne pepper.
I used an immersion blender to puree the Carrot Ginger Soup right in the pot. If using a stand blender, take care not to overfill the container. The soup may need to be pureed in batches. Open the top as needed to let steam release.
Avoiding cream? It can be swapped for coconut milk and the butter for olive oil to create a vegan soup.
Pair the Carrot Ginger Soup with salad for a light lunch or even with a couple slices of crusty bread.
Looking for more recipes with carrots?
- Carrot Cake Waffles
- Jack-O-Lantern Carrot Rice
- Hutspot met Gehaktballen (Dutch Mashed Potatoes and Carrots with Meatballs)
This recipe was originally posted in November 2012 and updated in March 2022.
Carrot Ginger Soup Recipe
Adapted from Meine Bayerische Küche
Carrot Ginger Soup
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 grams) carrots peeled and chopped into 1 inch (2.5 centimeter) pieces
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups (1 liter) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) apple cider vinegar
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally until softened and starting to turn golden.
- Stir in the carrots and continue to cook until starting to turn golden around the edges.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook until just fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stir in the curry powder to completely coat the vegetables, followed by the salt, coriander, cinnamon, and black pepper.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until the carrots are completely tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- If the mixture thickens too much, add a little more broth or water.
- Adjust seasonings to taste, then remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. You can also carefully transfer it to a stand blender to puree until smooth.
- Stir in the heavy cream, followed by the apple cider vinegar.
- Serve the soup immediately drizzled with additional heavy cream and desired toppings.