Tiramisu is one of my favorite desserts. This strawberry version, Tiramisu alle Fragole, is perfect for summer or even as a special Valentine’s Day dessert. Ladyfingers are dipped in a pureed strawberry sauce, then layered with a mascarpone cream mixture. Garnish with additional strawberries, chopped pistachios, and lemon zest before serving. Since Chad doesn’t like traditional tiramisu, this version was perfect for him.
Disclosure: This recipe uses raw eggs. Consuming raw eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness, especially with certain medical conditions. Be safe about the source of your eggs or used pasteurized. The strawberries are also soaked with rum (omit if desired). This recipe is intended only for those over the age of 21 (in the United States). Please drink responsibly.
I used smaller glasses for serving, so I cut the ladyfingers in half before dipping so they would fit easier. The layers can also be arranged in an 8×8 inch baking dish instead of individual glasses.
If desired, lime juice and zest can be used in place of the lemon.
Tiramisu alle Fragole (Italian Strawberry Tiramisu) Recipe
Adapted from Il Cucchiaio D’Argento
Tiramisu alle Fragole (Italian Strawberry Tiramisu)
- 14 ounces strawberries diced
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon rum or Grand Marnier optional
- 8 tablespoons caster sugar divided
- 2 large eggs separated
- 8 ounces Mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- pinch salt
- 7 ounces ladyfingers
- Sliced strawberries
- Chopped pistachios
- Lemon zest
- In a medium bowl, combine the diced strawberries, lemon juice, rum, and 4 tablespoons of the sugar. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, beat together the egg yolks, mascarpone, vanilla, and remaining 4 tablespoons sugar until smooth.
- Beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form and fold into the mascarpone.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites with the pinch of salt until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the mascarpone.
- Transfer the chilled strawberry mixture to a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Dip ladyfingers in the pureed strawberry and arrange along the bottom of 4 glasses or large ramekins. Add a layer of the mascarpone mixture. Continue to layer strawberry-dipped ladyfingers and mascarpone until the glasses are filled, ending with a layer of mascarpone.
- Chill in refrigerator at least 2 hours to overnight. Garnish with sliced strawberries, pistachios, and lemon zest.