#SundaySupper is celebrating the height of summer with a roundup of Summer Corn recipes! This week’s event is hosted by Ellen of Family Around the Table and I am joining with a recipe for Galey iyo Qumbo, Somali Corn in Coconut Sauce.
Corn is an integral part of Somali cuisine. You can find it in a variety of ways, from Soor (Polenta/Grits) and Muufo (Flat Bread) to sautés and on the cob like this Galey iyo Qumbo. This Somali corn on the cob is packed with flavor and color, but takes less than 15 minutes to make with only a handful of ingredients. The corn is cut into thirds, tossed in the pot with coconut milk mixed with tomato, turmeric, and onion, then simmered until tender. The resulting sauce would also be perfect with rice or as a dip for flat breads.
While simmering, turn the corn pieces a couple of times to make sure all sides get coated in the sauce.
I added a sprinkling of cilantro for a pop of color. This is completely optional. I also used full coconut milk, but you can substitute with light if desired for less richness.
If giving this to small children, make sure they are not in any favorite outfits. While she thoroughly enjoyed it, Claire was completely covered after eating her piece. She even managed to get some sauce in her hair and on our dogs. I imagine turmeric would be quite difficult to get out of any preferred fabrics.
Check out what everyone else made for the summer corn event:
- Bacon and Corn Chowder by Latin Meet Lagniappe
- Cajun Baked Shrimp and Corn Dip by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Corn Tomato Tartlets by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Grilled Corn Dip by Helpful Homemade
- Crab & Jalapeno Hush Puppies by Simply Healthy Family
- Grilled Corn Salsa by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Indian Cheese Corn Toast: Popular Vegetarian Recipe by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Roasted Corn and Tomato Bruschetta by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Corn Ravioli Caprese Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Griled Corn and Avocado Salad by Garden Matter
- Grilled Tri Tip and Roasted Corn Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Healthy Corn, Edamame & Avocado Salad by Food Done Light
- Summer Vegetable Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Black Bean Corn Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornbread Waffles with Pulled Pork by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Corn Fettuccine by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Fresh Corn Polenta with Summer Vegetables by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta with Creamy Corn Sauce and Summer Vegetables by Delaware Girl Eats
- Polenta Stuffed Peppers by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Shrimp Corn Chowder by Feeding Big and More
- A-maize-ing Maple Cornbread by Family Around The Table
- Blueberry and Corn Skillet Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Pudding by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Corn Pudding with Jalapenos and Chiles by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Addictive Corn by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Galey iyo Qumbo (Somali Corn in Coconut Sauce) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Honey Cornbread Muffins by Life Tastes Good
- Mealie Bread (South African Sweetcorn Bread) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins by The Crumby Cupcake
- Peruvian Grilled Street Corn by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Corn with Bacon by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Skillet Fried Corn by New South Charm
- Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Blackberry Cornbread Buckle by Pies and Plots
- Brazilian Corn Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Cornmeal Budino with Blueberry Marmellata by Cooking With Carlee
- Mais Con Hielo-Corn on Ice by Asian In America
- Margarita Popcorn by The Redhead Baker
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream by Baking Sense
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Galey iyo Qumbo (Somali Corn in Coconut Sauce)
Adapted from The Somali Kitchen
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup water
1/2 cup pureed tomatoes
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Salt to taste
1 onion, finely diced
4 corn on the cob, each cut into 3 equal pieces
Cilantro for garnish (optional)
In a large saucepan, whisk together the coconut milk, water, tomato, and turmeric. Add the onions, season with salt, then add the corn.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally to coat the corn, until the corn is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Serve immediately topped with cilantro if desired.