A recipe for Avena Colombiana (Colombian Oatmeal Drink)! Oats are simmered in milk, water, and spices, then refrigerated for a few hours before blending into a creamy and refreshing drink.
I first came across Avena Colombiana (Colombian Oatmeal Drink) at My Colombian Recipes and it has quickly become a favorite way to cool off during the summer. This creamy oat-based drink from Colombia doesn’t take much effort at all to make, but does involve a little planning ahead.
Oats are simmered with milk, water, cinnamon, cloves, a pinch of salt, and a little sugar. The mixture is chilled for at least three hours, then blended until smooth. It is definitely a great way to celebrate the last few warm days before winter starts to kick in.
I actually prepared the oat mixture the night before and chilled it overnight. This way, I was able to easily blend it in the morning for a quick and easy breakfast drink to serve alongside bread and pastries. The mixture will thicken while it chills in the refrigerator. If it is too thick after blending, add a little more water or milk until you reach the preferred texture.
Condensed milk is also a common addition in place of/in addition to the sugar. If desired, top each glass with a little ground cinnamon immediately before serving.
Looking for more oat-based recipes?
Avena Colombiana (Colombian Oatmeal Drink) Recipe
Adapted from My Colombian Recipes
Avena Colombiana (Colombian Oatmeal Drink)
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- Pinch ground cinnamon optional
- In a medium saucepan, combine the oatmeal, milk, and water over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cinnamon stick, sugar, ground cloves, and salt. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 more minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a covered container. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and transfer the chilled drink to the blender. Puree until smooth. If too thick, add a little more water. Serve cold.