A recipe for Mashed Sweet Potatoes! These creamy sweet potatoes are lightly sweetened with brown sugar and packed with warming spices.
Looking for an easy and delicious side for the holiday season? These Mashed Sweet Potatoes only take 15 minutes of prep and can even be made ahead of time!
Sweet potatoes are baked until tender, about 45 minutes to an hour, then mashed to the desired consistency. I generally use a potato masher to have better control and leave a little texture. For more smoothness, a hand mixer or even an immersion blender would also work well.
Mix in the milk, butter, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, cardamom, cloves, ginger, and black pepper. Adjust the seasonings to taste. This recipe can easily be doubled for a larger gathering.
A Few Tips
The roasting time for the sweet potatoes may vary depending on the thickness. Make sure they are completely tender, especially at the thickest part, to allow the sweet potatoes to mash more smoothly. This usually takes about 45 minutes in a 400˚F (200˚C) oven.
If the sweet potatoes are still warm when you fold in the ingredients, this will melt the butter (especially if you dice it first). If they have already cooled, melt the butter before mixing.
Want to add a little more texture and flavor? I especially enjoy adding a sprinkling of toasted, chopped pecans (or candied pecans for more sweetness) over the top.
To make the Mashed Sweet Potatoes vegan, use coconut milk or another non-dairy substitute in place of the milk and omit the butter. Maple syrup or honey can also be swapped for the brown sugar if desired.
While the sweet potatoes are best warm and freshly made, they can be prepared a day or two in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container until needed. Place in a 350˚F (180˚C) oven until heated through.
Looking for more recipes with sweet potatoes?
- Vanilla Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Goguma Mattang (Korean Caramelized Sweet Potatoes)
- Sweet Potato Waffles
Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Adapted from Oh My Veggies
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds (1 kg) sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) milk
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted pecans optional for topping
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork and place on baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once cool enough to handle, peel the sweet potatoes and place in a large bowl. Mash to desired texture. Fold in the milk, butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt, cardamom, cloves, ginger, and black pepper. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- The sweet potaotes are best served immediately. If desired, top with additional butter or a sprinkling of toasted pecans.