A recipe for a Grilled Portobello Salad! Marinated portobello mushrooms are grilled until tender and paired with a light, lemony salad.
This Grilled Portobello Salad recipe is a great meatless option for summer (or any time of year with an indoor grill pan). It also comes together in about 30 minutes for an easy lunch or dinner!
A simple romaine salad is paired with marinated and grilled portobello mushrooms. For even more flavor, I included some cherry tomatoes, avocado, and goat cheese. Immediately before serving, add a light drizzle of a homemade lemon dressing over the top.
A Few Tips
Before placing in the marinade, cut off enough of the portobello stems to allow them to lie flat. This will help every part of the mushroom reach the hot surface of the grill.
Adjust the temperature of the grill as needed between medium and low to give the mushrooms a chance to cook through without burning.
If the honey is too thick to whisk into the marinade, microwave briefly until barely runny. This will help blend it into the other ingredients.
Whisk the lemon dressing well to combine before adding to the salad or even store in a jar and shake to blend.
In addition to the grilled portobello mushrooms, I tossed together romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and goat cheese. Other options include spinach, arugula, fresh mozzarella, toasted pine nuts, or green onions. It is also delicious alongside grilled bread.
This salad is best immediately after preparing, but can be refrigerated for up to a day (keep the dressing separate).
For a vegan option, omit the goat cheese and swap the honey for maple syrup.
Looking for more salad recipes?
- Cantaloupe Arugula Salad
- Baby Bok Choy Salad with Sesame-Soy Vinaigrette
- Cherry Tomato Mozzarella Salad
This recipe was originally posted in October 2013 and updated June 2022.
Grilled Portobello Salad Recipe
Adapted from Healthy Happy Life
Grilled Portobello Salad
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado peeled, pit discarded, and diced
- 4 ounces (113 grams) goat cheese crumbled
To make the marinade:
- In a medium, wide bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, black pepper, and garlic.
To make the dressing:
- In another bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, and black pepper. Set aside at room temperature while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
To prepare the salad:
- Remove stems so the mushrooms lie flat. Place each mushroom in the marinade for 3-5 minutes per side.
- Preheat grill to medium heat while mushrooms are soaking.
- Place mushrooms on grill top side down and cook until darkened, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until golden.
- Remove from the pan and place on a rimmed plate to cool. Brush the tops with a little more of the marinade.
- Once cool enough to handle, slice into strips.
- In a large bowl, tear lettuce into bite size pieces.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes into halves and toss with the lettuce.
- Divide the salad among four serving bowls and top each with the avocado and goat cheese.
- Add the grilled portobello mushroom strips and serve immediately with the lemon dressing (stir again to blend before adding).