Nutella Coffee Cake recipe for Secret Recipe Club! The layer of nutella in the center and crumbly chocolate cinnamon streusel topping makes this coffee cake perfect for pairing with coffee or tea.
Secret Recipe Club
Time for another Secret Recipe Club post! I can’t believe this post marks one year with the club. In the Secret Recipe Club, each blogger is assigned a different blog each month. They secretly choose a recipe, prepare it, and post it on a designated day. It is so much fun on reveal day to see what recipes everyone has chosen!
This month I was excited to find out I was assigned Sew You Think You Can Cook! Lauren is a close friend of mine and this has been quite a busy summer for our families. She recently had a baby and in the past couple of weeks, we have both left Florida for different areas of the country. I am so glad I got a chance to meet baby Wesley before our moves. I will miss not having them close by. At least I still have her wonderful blog to follow. I have already made a some amazing recipes from her blog: Rolled Pancakes, Brown Sugar Tomato Pasta, Chorizo Mac and Cheese, and Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas. I also have the following pinned for later: Blender Salsa, Cookies and Creme Milkshake, Strawberry Balsamic Pizza, and Midnight Brownies.
Nutella Coffee Cake
When trying to decide on a recipe, I was a little limited due to first trimester food aversions and currently being in transit with our move. I am borrowing my parents’ kitchen, so I wanted to make something fairly simple. This Nutella Coffee Cake was perfect. I pinned it a few months ago and am glad I finally got the opportunity to try it.
Lauren suggested using a 9×9 inch pan for the cake. I used an 8″x8″, but agree that a 9″x9″ would probably be better. The cake came out quite high. I also only used 3/4 of the topping and would use a little more next time to account for spreading. I loved the layer of Nutella through the center. When I need to work with Nutella, I usually microwave it for about 20 seconds to make it more runny and easier to spread. Evan was a huge fan of the cake too!
I used plain, whole fat yogurt, but you can also substitute with sour cream.
Nutella Coffee Cake Recipe
Nutella Coffee Cake
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain whole yogurt divided
- 8-10 tablespoons chocolate hazelnut spread Nutella
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in the butter using your fingers or a dough blender to create a crumbly texture. Mix in the cocoa powder and oats. Refrigerate until needed.
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Butter and lightly flour an 8x8 inch or 9x9 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then vanilla extract.
- Stir in 1/3rd of flour mixture, just until incorporated. Mix in 1/2 cup of the yogurt. Add another 1/3rd of the flour, remaining 1/2 cup of yogurt, then remaining flour mixture.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared baking dish. Evenly top with the chocolate hazelnut spread. Microwaving the chocolate hazelnut spread for about 20 seconds makes it easier to distribute. Top with remaining batter. Cover thoroughly with the prepared topping.
- Bake in preheated oven until knife inserted in center comes out clean, 60-80 minutes depending on the size of your pan. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.