A recipe for Qatiqli Hu’rda (Uzbek Rice Soup with Yogurt)! This comforting soup is packed with lamb, rice, and plenty of vegetables. Serve warm with a dollop of yogurt and sprinkling of parsley.
Today, #SundaySupper is getting together with a collection of simple rice recipes for dinner! I am joining in with an easy rice soup from Uzbekistan called Qatiqli Hu’rda.
Qatiqli Hu’rda (Uzbek Rice Soup with Yogurt)
Qatiqli Hu’rda is a comforting Uzbek rice soup that comes together in one pot in about 30 minutes. Pieces of lamb (beef can also be used) are browned on all sides before combining with onion, carrot, bell pepper, and tomato.
The mixture is simmered with short grain rice and water until the rice is tender and the soup has thickened. Serve warm with large dollops of yogurt (which can also be mixed straight into the soup once it has been removed from heat) and chopped greens.
Looking for more inspiration? Check out Easy and Delish’s Easy Dinner Ideas for even more busy weeknight options.
Simple Rice Recipes for Dinner
What’s for dinner?
- Butternut and Brown Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Crispy Rice Bites by Hardly A Goddess
- Meatloaf Stuffed Peppers by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Rice is for dinner!
- Olive & Date Rice Side Dish by My Life Cookbook
- Qatiqli Hu’rda (Uzbek Rice Soup with Yogurt) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Savory Rice Porridge by Pies and Plots
- Slow Boat to China by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Slow Cooker Jamaican Rice and Peas Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Sushi Roll Rice Bowl by The Freshman Cook
- Tex Mex Chicken Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
Looking for more comforting soups?
- Krumplileves (Hungarian Potato Soup)
- Vegetarian French Onion Soup
- Duk Mandu Guk (Korean Rice Cake and Dumpling Soup).
Qatiqli Hu’rda (Uzbek Rice Soup with Yogurt) Recipe
Qatiqli Hu'rda (Uzbek Rice Soup with Yogurt)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound lamb cut into small pieces (about 1 inch)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large tomatoes chopped, or 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 red bell pepper seeds and stem removed, chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup short grain rice rinsed in cold water
- 4 1/4 cups water
- 1 2/3 cups plain yogurt
- Freshly chopped parsley or other greens for garnish
- In a large pot, drizzle the oil over medium high heat. Once hot, add the pieces of lamb. Sprinkle with coriander, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned on all sides.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened. Mix in the tomatoes/tomato paste, bell pepper, and carrot. Continue to cook until the vegetables have softened. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted, 2-3 minutes. Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pot halfway with lid. Simmer until the rice is tender and the soup has thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and simmer for a couple more minutes before removing from heat. Mix in the yogurt or serve it in large dollops over individual bowls of soup. Serve immediately garnished with parsley or other greens.