Today, #SundaySupper is getting together with a collection of simple rice recipes for dinner! I am joining in with an easy rice soup from Uzbekistan called Qatiqli Hu’rda.
Qatiqli Hu’rda is a refreshing Uzbek rice soup that comes together in one pot in less than 30 minutes. Pieces of lamb (beef can also be used) are browned on all sides before combining with onion, carrot, bell pepper, and tomato. The mixture is simmered with short grain rice and water until the rice is tender and the soup has thickened. It is served warm with large dollops of yogurt (which can also be mixed straight into the soup once it has been removed from heat) and chopped greens.
Simple Rice Recipes for Dinner #SundaySupper
What’s for dinner?
- Butternut and Brown Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Crispy Rice Bites by Hardly A Goddess
- Easy Pork Fried Rice – Gluten Free by Cricket’s Confections
- Granny’s Sausage & Rice Casserole by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Rice Pilaf with Toasted Almonds by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meatloaf Stuffed Peppers by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Nasi Lemak – Malay Coconut Milk Rice by Sprinkles and Sprouts
Rice is for dinner!
- Olive & Date Rice Side Dish by My Life Cookbook
- Qatiqli Hu’rda (Uzbek Rice Soup with Yogurt) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Savory Rice Porridge by Pies and Plots
- Slow Boat to China by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Slow Cooker Jamaican Rice and Peas Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Slow-Cooker Chicken Cacciatore over Rice by My Blissful Mess
- Sushi Roll Rice Bowl by The Freshman Cook
- Tex Mex Chicken Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Paella Recipe with Beef and Shrimp by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Qatiqli Hu’rda (Uzbek Rice Soup with Yogurt)
From The Art of Uzbek Cuisine
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 pound lamb, cut into small pieces (about 1 inch)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped, or 2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 red bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, chopped
1 carrot peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup short grain rice, rinsed in cold water
4 1/4 cups water
1 2/3 cups plain yogurt
Freshly chopped parsley or other greens for garnish
In a large pot, drizzle the oil over medium high heat. Once hot, add the pieces of lamb. Sprinkle with coriander, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned on all sides.
Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened. Mix in the tomatoes/tomato paste, bell pepper, and carrot. Continue to cook until the vegetables have softened. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted, 2-3 minutes. Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pot halfway with lid. Simmer until the rice is tender and the soup has thickened, about 15 minutes.
Season the soup to taste with salt and simmer for a couple more minutes before removing from heat. Mix in the yogurt or serve it in large dollops over individual bowls of soup. Serve immediately garnished with parsley or other greens.