A recipe for Waffle Pão de Queijo (Brazilian Cheese Bread Waffles)! These tapioca and cheese-based waffles come together quickly and easily for a delicious, gluten-free breakfast or snack.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
It is Carnaval time in Brazil! During the pre-Lenten celebrations, parties, parades, costumes, dancing, and food are everywhere- especially street food. Two years ago, I posted a recipe for Pão de Queijo (Brazilian Cheese Bread). An increasingly popular variation of this in Brazil is Waffle Pão de Queijo.
This is an incredibly easy recipe to make. Everything is mixed in the blender and poured into a heated waffle iron. I think it took me about 15 minutes- perfect for an afternoon snack. It is also naturally gluten free! You can serve the Waffle Pão de Queijo with butter, maple syrup (not authentic- but Chad’s pick), dulce de leche, goiabada (guava paste), or jam. Between Evan and I, the waffles didn’t last long enough to add additional toppings.
This recipe can easily be doubled for a crowd. For just two of us, this amount was perfect. The batter made 6 waffles in my smaller heart iron. I had a couple extra waffles that I froze in a single layer on parchment before transferring to a freezer bag. They can be reheated in the toaster or oven. The texture won’t be as chewy as when they were originally heated.
Tapioca flour is a starch ground from the cassava root. It is commonly used in Brazilian baking and is naturally gluten free. I have been able to find it in the health/gluten-free section of most larger grocery stores. It is also available on Amazon: Bob’s Red Mill Tapioca Flour. Make sure to check the ingredient listings. Some lower quality brands add flour as a filler.
Waffle Pão de Queijo (Brazilian Cheese Bread Waffles) Recipe
Adapted from Testado, Provado e Aprovado
Waffle Pão de Queijo (Brazilian Cheese Bread Waffles)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil plus more for greasing waffle iron
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 grams (1.75 ounces) Parmigiano-Reggiano grated
- 250 grams (8 ounces, 2 cups) tapioca starch divided
- Preheat a waffle iron over high heat.
- In a blender, combine eggs, milk, vegetable oil, salt, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Blend until smooth. Add 3/4 of the tapioca starch and blend. If the batter is still thin, add the remaining tapioca starch and blend until smooth.
- Brush the heated waffle iron with vegetable oil. Pour in the batter. Cook until golden, 3-5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve immediately.