Time for Secret Recipe Club again! In case this is your first time seeing a Secret Recipe post: In the Secret Recipe Club, each blogger is assigned a different blog each month. They secretly choose a recipe, prepare it, and post it on a designated day. It is such a fun group!
This month I was assigned Curious Cuisiniere, a wonderful blog manned by Sarah with the assistance of her husband Tim. They enjoy traveling and I love the array of cuisines and travel posts on their blog. I am also bookmarking their post on building raised beds for when I own my own house someday. I picked Chicken Teriyaki Pizza this month, but have quite a few other recipes pinned for later: Kopytka (Polish Potato Dumplings), French Onion Omelette, Avgolemono (Greek Egg and Lemon Soup), Carrot Souffle, and Sesame Chicken Salad.
It has been a few months since I have had a pizza post on the blog, so I thought this Chicken Teriyaki Pizza would be a great choice for Secret Recipe Club. You can use premade or homemade teriyaki sauce. If using homemade, make sure the sauce is thick enough. Mine was a little on the watery side and had the potential to make the pizza too wet. The thickened teriyaki marinade is spread over a parbaked pizza crust and covered with shredded cabbage, carrots, chicken, and cheese. I really enjoyed the combination of flavors and the teriyaki added a bit of sweetness to the pizza.
To par-bake the pizza crust: Bake the raw rolled out pizza dough on a parchment lined or oiled baking sheet at 400 degrees for 3 minutes.
Chicken Teriyaki Pizza
Adapted from Curious Cuisiniere
Chicken Teriyaki Pizza
- 2 chicken breasts cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Teriyaki marinade
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (12 inch) par-baked pizza crust
- 3 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1 1/2 cup shredded matchstick style carrots
- 1/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a wide dish, toss the chicken pieces in the teriyaki marinade. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees If using, place a baking stone on the top rack in the center of the oven.
- In a large skillet, bring chicken with marinade to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pieces are no longer pink in center. Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken to a plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of the marinade from the skillet. Stir the mixture into the teriyaki and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- If using a baking stone, place par-baked crust on a pizza peel sprinkled with some cornmeal. Otherwise, place the crust on a baking sheet. Spread the thickened teriyaki over the pizza, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edges. Evenly cover with cabbage, then carrots. Top with the cooked chicken pieces, then Mozzarella and Cheddar cheeses.
- Transfer to pizza stone or bake on baking sheet until crust is golden and cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.