A recipe for Pa amb Tomàquet (Catalan Bread with Tomato)! Toasted slices of bread are topped with garlic, tomato, and olive oil.
Translating to Bread with Tomato, Pa amb Tomàquet (Pan Tumaca) is a Catalan-style bread showcasing the best of summer produce in a simple, yet incredibly flavorful way. It is a great option for using up leftover bread and tomatoes with variations found throughout Spain.
Best of all, everything comes together easily in less than 10 minutes and with only 5 ingredients!
Simply toast slices of bread, then rub with raw garlic (optional, but delicious) and ripened tomato halves. The tomato should easily fall apart across the bread, leaving behind the skin. Finish with a sprinkling of salt and drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
For a variety of flavors, serve the Pa amb Tomàquet on a platter alongside an assortment of cheese, Xoriço (Chorizo), Pernil (Ham), other cured meats, Escalivada Catalana (Catalan Roasted Vegetables), omelettes, anchovies, and more.
A Few Tips
For this recipe, try to find (or make!) Pa de Pagès, Coca, or another crusty, country-style bread sturdy enough to hold up to the pressing of the garlic and tomato.
I used a broiler to toast the bread, but you can also grill the slices or bake them in a 400˚F (200˚C) oven until golden brown and crisp.
The garlic is optional, but I love the added touch and how it complements the light flavor of the tomatoes. Take care when rubbing the garlic. A little goes a long way.
Make sure the tomatoes are well-ripened and juicy to easily spread across the bread. Traditionally, Tomàquets de Penjar (hanging tomatoes) or Tomàtiga de Ramellet (tomatoes on the vine) are best.
If the tomatoes are just too firm to easily fall apart, try the Spanish variation of Pan con Tomate by pressing the cut side of the tomatoes across a grater and spread the resulting pulp over the bread slices.
I topped the bread in the following order: Garlic, Tomato, Salt, and Olive Oil. Some add the salt first, then the tomato to help evenly spread it across into every bite.
Serve the Pa amb Tomàquet immediately after assembling before the bread gets too soft.
Looking for more recipes with tomatoes?
- Farro Salad with Kale and Roasted Tomatoes
- Jeow Mak Len (Lao Tomato Dipping Sauce)
- Šalša (Croatian Tomato Sauce)
This recipe was originally posted in April 2015 and updated in May 2022.
Pa amb Tomàquet (Catalan Bread with Tomato) Recipe
Adapted from 196 Flavors
Pa amb Tomàquet (Catalan Bread with Tomato)
- 4 slices Pa de Pagès or Country Bread
- 2 garlic cloves halved
- 2 well-ripened medium tomatoes halved horizontally
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Arrange the slices of bread in a single layer, cut side up, on a baking sheet.
- Place under the broiler and toast until golden. If desired, toast the other side.
- Rub each slice of bread lightly on the toasted side with the cut side of the halved garlic cloves.
- Rub the bread well with the cut side of the tomato halves.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with sea salt and drizzled with olive oil.