Thai Mango Chicken is a quick weeknight meal bursting with flavor. The sauce is sweet, sour, and salty with a bit of spice. Depending on the ripeness and quality of the mangoes, you may need to adjust the sauce to your tastes. Add fish sauce for a bit more salt, sugar for sweetness, chili sauce for spice, and lime juice to add some more sourness. This is actually the first time I have had mango in something other than a beverage. Next time, I will probably add more vegetables. Onions and broccoli may be a nice additions.
Thai Mango Chicken
Adapted from About.com Thai Food
Thai Mango Chicken
- 2 mangoes peeled, pit removed, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 inch piece galangal or ginger peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into thin 2 inch long slices
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 3-4 tablespoons coconut milk optional
- 1 mango cubed, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Jasmine rice for serving
- In a blender, add sauce ingredients: chopped mangoes, chili sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime zest, lime juice, ginger, garlic, and turmeric. Blend until smooth. Add a little sugar if too sour or more chili sauce to add spice.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Add the chicken slices and coat well. In a wok or large pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Once thoroughly heated, fry coated chicken slices until cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. Remove to towel lined plate.
- Clean out wok and reheat to medium high heat. Add the red pepper slices and blended mango sauce. Bring the sauce to a low boil and reduce to medium low heat. If too thick, add 3-4 tablespoons coconut milk. Continue to simmer until red pepper just begins to soften, 3-4 minutes.
- Gently stir in chicken slices and add cubed mango if desired. Simmer until chicken is heated through.
- Serve immediately with jasmine rice and cilantro.