A recipe for Cinnamon Brown Sugar Toaster Pastries! The puff pastry base is filled with cinnamon brown sugar and topped with a cream cheese icing.
Make your own homemade toaster pastries at home! These Cinnamon Brown Sugar Toaster Pastries come together fairly easily in about 30 minutes with a store-bought puff pastry base, cinnamon brown sugar filling, and a drizzle of cream cheese icing.
When I was a child, I loved Toaster Strudel. I was also incredibly picky and avoided all fruit, so I always went for the cinnamon roll flavor (I may or may not have also taken extra packets of the icing- but then would be upset when I got to the last couple of pastries and had no icing for the top). With this recipe, I can finally make my own!
I used a puff pastry as the exterior to create the flaky layers. After defrosting to room temperature, I gently rolled the puff pastry into a 15×12 inch sheet on a lightly floured surface and cut the sheet into 3×4 inch rectangles.
Half of the rectangles are transferred to the prepared baking sheets, covered with the cinnamon brown sugar filling, and topped with the remaining rectangles. Crimp around the edges to seal and brush with the egg wash before baking until golden.
Once cooked, drizzle or spread the cream cheese powdered sugar icing over the tops and serve warm.
If you aren’t interested in a cinnamon sugar filling, these pastries can also be made using a favorite jam.
After cooling, the extra pastries can be frozen. I reheated them in a 350˚F oven until warm. They can also be heated in a toaster. Do not add the icing until they are prepared and ready to serve.
Looking for more breakfast pastry recipes?
Cinnamon Brown Sugar Toaster Pastries Recipe
Cinnamon Brown Sugar Toaster Pastries
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 14-17 ounces puff pastry defrosted at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese softened at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the pastries:
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or lightly grease.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour.
- In a small bowl, beat together egg and milk to make egg wash.
- On a large floured work surface, roll out puff pastry. If the package comes with only 1 sheet, roll it into a 15x12 inch rectangle. Cut into 3x4 inch rectangles and transfer half the rectangles to the prepared baking sheets.
- Brush the tops of each rectangle on the baking sheet with the egg wash. Place about 1 tablespoon of the cinnamon brown sugar filling in the center of the rectangle, spreading it to 1/4 inch around the edges. Cover the filling with the other half of the rectangles. Press down around the edges to seal the filling inside. Use a fork to crimp and seal the edges further.
- Use the fork or toothpick to poke a few holes in the top of each pastry. Brush the tops of the pastries with the remaining egg wash. Bake in preheated oven until puffed and golden, about 10 minutes. If baking both sheets at once, turn and rotate the sheets after about 5 minutes.
To make the icing:
- While the pastries are baking, beat together the powdered sugar, milk, softened cream cheese, and milk. If too thick, add a little more milk. Spread or pipe the frosting over baked toaster pastries.