I found this White Chocolate Cupcake recipe over a year ago and always skimmed over it while looking for different dessert recipes to try. It looked good, but nothing really jumped out at me enough to make them. We went to a friend’s house this weekend and I finally decided to make these to bring along. I was short on time, but thought the white chocolate would give a little extra flavor compared to plain vanilla cupcakes. As a bonus, Chad generally doesn’t like chocolate unless it is white or mixed with peanut butter so he could try them too.
The cupcakes definitely exceeded my expectations. Paired with the white chocolate cream cheese frosting, they are sweet, but not overly so. I baked the cupcakes the night before and the prepared the frosting the morning of the get-together. The cupcakes remained moist the next day. Make sure to use a good quality white chocolate.
White chocolate does not actually contain cocoa solids. It is created using cocoa butter, milk solids, sugar, and often vanilla. In order to be called chocolate, it must contain at least 20 percent cocoa butter. Good quality white chocolate should not contain any other types of vegetable fat. It was first created in Switzerland in the 1930s and introduced to the United States in 1948 by Nestle.
White Chocolate Cupcakes
Adapted from The Curvy Carrot, from Baking Bites
White Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces white chocolate melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 ounce white chocolate melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in melted white chocolate and vanilla. Mix in 1/3rd of the flour mixture, then 1/2 cup of the milk, another 1/3rd of the flour, remaining milk, then remaining flour.
- Pour batter into prepared liners until they are about 3/4 full.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly golden on sides and toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, 20-24 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 minutes before cooling completely on wire rack.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, mix together the frosting.
- In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter. Beat in melted white chocolate, vanilla, and milk. Add in powdered sugar until a smooth frosting has been created. Add 2 cups powdered sugar for a spreadable frosting and 3 cups to pipe the frosting.