Wendy from Wholistic Woman is hosting the Sunday Supper event today by celebrating the versatility of the egg in all of its forms from sweet to savory. I am sharing a recipe for Yemeni Shakshouka, Spiced Scrambled Eggs.
Shakshouka is an egg dish popular throughout the Middle East and Northern Africa. In Aden, Yemen and surrounding areas, the eggs are often scrambled into the tomato mixture instead of being poached on top. The exact spices may vary based on region and family. I seasoned the eggs with onions, garlic, tomatoes, chili, cumin, turmeric, and cilantro. I have also seen other recipes add vegetables such as sliced potatoes.
I paired the Shakshouka with Khobz al Tawa, a flaky layered bread popular in Aden and southern areas of Yemen. It can also be served with other types of flatbread and tea for a delicious breakfast or brunch.
The green chile adds a bit of warmth, but not a lot of overall heat. If you want the eggs spicier, serve them with Zhug, a Yemeni green hot sauce.
Check out what everyone else made for the event!
Appetizers & Sides
- Classic Deviled Eggs from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Classic Deviled Eggs(-alad Sandwiches) from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Easter Deviled Egg Chicks from Pine Needles In My Salad
- Guacamole Deviled Eggs from Momma’s Meals
- Ham and Swiss Deviled Eggs from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Hrudka – Ukrainian Egg Cheese for Easter from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Jalapeño Popper Deviled Eggs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Smoky Deviled Bacon And Eggs from Taste And See
- Spicy Sriracha Deviled Eggs from An Appealing Plan
Main Dishes (Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Brinner and Dinner!)
- Achiote Pulled Pork and Black Bean Huevos Rancheros from Cooking on The Ranch
- Asparagus Sausage Skillet with Egg from Wholistic Woman
- Avocado Egg Chilaquiles from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Baked Eggs in Cream from Tramplingrose
- Baked Scotch Eggs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Chorizo, Dubliner, and Vegetable Quiche from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich from My Imperfect Kitchen
- Classic Shirred Eggs with Gruyere and Ham from The Weekend Gourmet
- Egg Biryani from Food Lust People Love
- Fri-Tot-Ta from Feeding Big
- Hashbrown Egg Nests from The TipToe Fairy
- Italian Style Stuffed Bread from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Jalapeño Popper Quiche from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Japanese Egg Crepes (Kinshi Tamago) from NinjaBaker.com
- Low Carb Breakfast Pizza from My Life Cookbook
- Make Ahead & Freeze Omelette Cups from Hardly A Goddess
- Mediterranean Frittata from A Mind “Full” Mom
- Mini Frittata with Asparagus and Six Italian Cheeses from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Papas con Huevos (Potato and Egg Tacos) from Kitchen Gidget
- Pasta Carbonara with Shrimp and Leeks from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Poached Eggs over Roasted Asparagus from Monica’s Table
- Potato, Egg and Cheese Scramble from And She Cooks
- Spaghetti with Fried Eggs from The Texan New Yorker
- Steak Benedict from Palatable Pastime
- Steak Omelette from From Gate to Plate
- Sun-dried Tomato and Spinach Quiche from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sunny Side Up Burger from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tex-Mex Migas from Caroline’s Cooking
- Toad in the Hole Breakfast Sandwiches from Daily Dish Recipes
- Tomato Asiago Frittata from Books n’ Cooks
- Yemeni Shakshouka (Yemeni Spiced Scrambled Eggs) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Creamy Flan from The Freshman Cook
- Creme Anglaise from The Redhead Baker
- Croquembouche from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Dark Chocolate Mousse from The Chef Next Door
- Orange Coconut Bundt Cake from Desserts Required
- Pavlova with Strawberry Curd from Love and Confections
- Pistachio Chai Baked Alaska from The Crumby Cupcake
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies from Pies and Plots
- Plus Curried Egg Salad on Toasted Naan and More Eggtastic Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Yemeni Shakshouka (Yemeni Spiced Scrambled Eggs)
Adapted from A Yemeniyah’s Recipes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 green chili, seeded, stem removed, and finely chopped
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Salt to taste
Freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
In a large pan, drizzle olive oil over medium heat. Once heated, add the diced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent. Stir in the garlic and chili. Cook until just fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes, cumin, and turmeric. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have softened, 5-10 minutes. Season with salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs. Reduce heat to medium low and pour the eggs into the pan. Cook until starting to set, then fold to scramble the eggs until just cooked.
Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with bread.