A recipe for Orange Almond Cupcakes! These orange and almond flavored cupcakes are topped with a light and fluffy orange buttercream frosting.
These Orange Almond Cupcakes are such fun springtime treat! The cupcake base is combined with orange zest, vanilla extract, and almond extract for a delicate flavor perfect for pairing with the fluffy orange buttercream frosting. For an extra festive look, top with your favorite sprinkles!
Fill each prepared muffin tin about 2/3rds full. I like to use a standard ice cream scoop for a consistent size in each cupcake. Bake the cupcakes just until cooked through. If needed, use a toothpick and stick through the center. If the toothpick comes out dry or with a couple of crumbs, the cupcakes are done. They will continue to set a little further as they cool.
Allow the cupcakes to cool completely to room temperature before topping with the frosting. Otherwise, the buttercream will melt and soak into the cake.
Add just enough orange juice to the buttercream frosting to make a light and fluffy texture. If it is too wet, add a little more powdered sugar. If too thick, add a splash more orange juice at a time.
Have a mini muffin tin? You can also use the recipe to make about 36 miniature cupcakes. Keep an eye on the cooking time, but it should be decreased to around 10-12 minutes.
Looking for more cupcake recipes?
Orange Almond Cupcakes Recipe
Adapted from Lauren’s Latest
Orange Almond Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2-4 tablespoons orange juice
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line 12 muffin tins with liners or lightly grease.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat together the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the orange zest, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix 1/3rd of the flour mixture into the butter until just incorporated, followed by half of the milk, 1/3rd of the flour, the remaining milk, and the remaining flour.
- Fill the prepared muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20-22 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and allow to cool completely to room temperature.
To make the orange buttercream frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk or a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat together the softened butter and powdered sugar. Mix in the orange zest, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Slowly add the orange juice, just enough to create a smooth and creamy buttercream frosting.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with desired tip and pipe onto cooled, room temperature cupcakes. If desired, top the cupcakes with sprinkles for garnish.