I have made a few types of risotto (so far Portobello Risotto on the blog), but this Orange Risotto with Strawberries is my first sweet one! Instead of broth, warm sweetened milk is stirred into Arborio rice, seasoned with orange juice and zest, and finished off with coconut milk and strawberries. As with other types of risotto; there isn’t much prep work, but it does require you to be in front of the stove the entire time. Don’t try to increase the heat to speed the process along. Wait until the milk is completely absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
The sliced strawberries definitely make the dish. I chopped up a few extra strawberries in mix in after taking the photographs.
Arborio is an Italian short grain rice that becomes creamy as it cooks. I have been able to find it at many supermarkets. It is also available on Amazon: RiceSelect Arborio Rice.
Sweet Orange Risotto with Strawberries Recipe
Adapted from The Curvy Carrot
Sweet Orange Risotto with Strawberries
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Arborio rice
- 1 orange zest and juice
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups fresh strawberries sliced
- In a medium saucepan, stir together milk, sugar, and vanilla over medium heat. Continue to stir until the milk comes to a simmer and the sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low and cover.
- In a large pan, add the butter over medium heat. Once melted, stir in the rice. Continue to stir until coated in butter and heated, about 2 minutes. Add the zest and orange juice and stir for another 2 minutes.
- While stirring constantly, add the heated milk 1/2 cup at a time. Stir until the 1/2 cup of milk is absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup, 3-5 minutes each. Repeat until all the milk is absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in the coconut milk. Let sit for 5 minutes. Transfer to serving bowls and top with strawberry slices. Serve immediately.